Two's Company...Three's a Crowd!

It was getting a little crowded in here. I’ve copied most of my StitchPoet information onto a blog all its own. I will still continue to post photos of the stuff I make here on ChampagneMaker and I’ve created a little blog with everything I have a crush on to share what inspires me. It’s called CrushParty and if that’s not enough inspiration for you, it overflows into CrushCuldeSac on tumblr. I save inspiring knits @ CountingStoneSheep. It’s where knitters go when they can’t sleep! I also blog for Rooney Robison Antiques and have created an Antique Interior Style File with beautiful interiors on tumblr. I mostly PIN recipes, but you can find me there too!


Monday, March 21, 2011

Texty Bloggy Stuff . . .

I'm frequently asked about the different metals I use in my jewelry designs. I just saw this little explanation of the metals on ~ Sundance ~ and thought I'd blog it forward. When I'm working in gold tones, I usually buy Vermeil findings because I love the color. It's soft and most skin tones friendly. I also use Gold-filled as well, but it can sometimes look dark and not fresh like Vermeil. I like Sterling, but hate to polish and if you don't wear the piece a lot, it will need polishing. 

Sterling Silver is a white, highly reflective precious metal composed of 925 parts of pure silver and 75 parts alloy, usually copper. Copper provides the silver with sufficient hardness and wearing qualities, as pure silver is sometimes considered too soft to be used or worn everyday. Sterling silver is used in a wide variety of jewelry for a beautiful polished look.

Vermeil (pronounced ver-may) is a combination of precious metals. The inside core is pure sterling silver. The outer coating is of solid, finely crafted gold. These two precious metals are combined to produce long-lasting jewelry that looks, feels, and endures exactly like pure gold.

Gold-filled is defined as a layer of 10kt or better gold mechanically bonded under heat and pressure to another metal, then rolled or drawn to a given thickness. The quantity of the gold must be at least 1/20th of the item's total weight. The item must be marked as 10, 12 or 14kt gold-filled. Gold-filled is much thicker than gold plated, and gold-filled items are generally considered lifetime products.

6 comments:

Patty Dutcher said...

Girl, you are always teaching me things I thought I already knew!! I just love the way you write, it is almst as entertaining as you in person...almost!!

Champagne/CrushParty/StitchPoet said...

haha, Dang Patty, you're easy to entertain! But I love ya anyway! hahaha

Charlotta Ward said...

I loved this too. I agree with Ms Patty Dutcher - you pass on knowledge in such a great way.

Thanks for this.

xx Charlotta

Design Elements said...

i like this too :-) lovely greetings

Sara Szatmary said...

Man... it's an art AND a science eh?

Anonymous said...

Going through this post, I honestly think that you own the precise knoeledge of what are you deliberating.I really want to applaud you for zeal for the work you own that has helped you stand today at this stage.Genuinely,there has not been even once that I have gone through your blog and went without getting some good information.Keep it up.And yes i have book mark your site champagnemaker.blogspot.com .

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails